Thursday, May 23, 2013

Doors members lament death of band mate Ray Manzarek

The Doors.

The iconic 60's rock band from California that defined U.S. psychedelic rock was anchored by the fluid, sometimes weird, but always amazing keyboard stylings of it's founder, Ray Manzarek. It also featured guitarist Robby Krieger, the son of Orthodox Jews, who emblazoned his guitar work onto the band's songs and crafted memorable solos and arpeggios to cement his place in the rock guitar gods pantheon. Drums were handled by John Densmore.

Oh, and the band was fronted by a certain rock star archetype named Jim Morrison.


The Doors. From left, Jim Morrisson, John Densmore, Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger

On May 20, Manzarek passed away after battling cancer. Krieger and Densmore eulogized Manzarek with statements earlier this week.

“I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today. I’m just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him,” Krieger said.

John Densmore said, "There was no keyboard player on the planet more appropriate to support Jim Morrison's words. Ray, I felt totally in sync with you musically. It was like we were of one mind, holding down the foundation for Robby and Jim to float on top of. I will miss my musical brother."


Greg Harris, CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, said in reaction to Manzarek's death that "The world of rock 'n' roll lost one of its greats with the passing of Ray Manzarek. He was instrumental in shaping one of the most influential, controversial and revolutionary groups of the '60s. Such memorable tracks as 'Light My Fire', 'People are Strange' and 'Hello, I Love You' – to name but a few – owe much to Manzarek's innovative playing."


May his musical memory be for blessing.



Manzarek at the Bospop festival, Weert 2010, the Netherlands [wiki commons photo]

No comments: