Friday, February 8, 2008

Blackfield

I’ve been a fan of a British heavy progressive band called Porcupine Tree for many years. A few years ago their extremely prolific songwriter Steve Wilson met up with a fan of his, an Israeli pop star named Aviv Geffen.

The two of them decided to collaborate and over the years have released two albums Blackfield and Blackfield II.

I was in Israel last year and decided to stop at a record store and purchase some Aviv Geffen CDs. Not understanding a word of Hebrew, I needed help in browsing through the different artists, but my friend Lara led me to the Geffen section where I found he had tons of albums.

Not knowing which to get I just randomly selected two. They’re good, but I must admit that listening to Hebrew songs is very difficult and gets in the way of my enjoyment. I am the "goy" rocker after all. The good news is that Aviv is in England now finishing off his first “English” solo album.

The guy is great and so is his work with Steve Wilson. Check out this video from the recent Blackfield tour. Aviv is the guy without his shirt (such an Israeli). Steve is the quiet guy with the hair in his face. If you like this be sure to check out Porcupine Tree too.

www.porcupinetree.com

2 comments:

Blintzkrieg said...

Very cool. And have you noticed that Wilson kinda looks like a young, guitar-wielding Geddy Lee (at least in this video).

Anonymous said...

An excellent posting, GoyRocker.

It's nice to have different personalities posting to Heebonics.