Friday, December 14, 2007

Zen-ing out the Rock Hall of Fame


Last night, Montreal's resident poet-laureate/songster Leonard Cohen was announced as one of the five 2008 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He'll go in along with Madonna, the Dave Clark Five, the Ventures and John (sans "Cougar") Mellencamp at a ceremony in New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel on March 10.

Now, Cohen doesn't exactly qualify as a "rock n' roller" in my book. But I guess the folks in Cleveland had their reasons. Nothing against Lenny, mind you. He's a brilliant poet.  So a hearty "Mazal Tov" to you Lenny. Give em' poetic hell at the ceremony.


"Give me back my broken night

my mirrored room, my secret life

it's lonely here,

there's no one left to torture

Give me absolute control

over every living soul

And lie beside me, baby,

that's an order!"

- First verse of "The Future" off Cohen's 1992 album by the same name.


I wonder if he'll sing that last line to Madonna? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't see what the R&R Hall of Fame was thinking. I would never have associated him with R&R.

Blintz - I posted a response to your question in the previous article.

Blintzkrieg said...

(Got it Jorge, thanks. See reply in the other post.)

I think the R&R Hall is getting desperate for more acts to induct in order to justify continued events and revenue streams.

Honestly? Leonard Cohen and Madonna? ROCKERS!? That ain't right.